Friday, March 2, 2012

More Commentary on Food

I love to eat in Italian restaurants. The following poem from How to Build a Better Mousetrap: Recollections and Reflections of a Family Caregiver explains what I like to eat and notes that unlike the Italians, I don’t drink wine with my meal.

An Italian Meal Without Wine

I love to eat seafood fettuccini Alfredo,

taste the shrimp, crab, scallops

in a rich, creamy sauce

on a bed of fettuccini noodles,

slurp the noodles into my mouth,

savor the flavor,

garnish it with garlic bread,

chase it down with water.

What kind of restaurants do you like: Italian, Mexican, Chinese? When you were growing up, did your family eat out often or just once in a blue moon when you could afford it? Do you remember any favorite dishes you liked to order?

When I was a kid in Tucson, Arizona, we often went to a place called Hobo Joe’s. No matter what time of day we went, I always ordered pigs in a blanket. Don’t ask me why, but I loved those little link sausages wrapped in pancakes and smothered in syrup. The combined taste of pancake, sausage, and maple flavoring just couldn’t be beat. Please feel free to share your memories below.

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author of We Shall Overcome and How to Build a Better Mousetrap: Recollections and Reflections of a Family Caregiver

2 comments:

  1. We used to eat out maybe twice a year, on Mother's and Father's Day. Often at a restaurant called Po Folks, man that was my favorite! Lot of seafood and stuff like that. I therefore love eating shrimp. I can put away some Italian also, such that I sometimes think I am half Italian. Smiles. Lasagna, spaghetti, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, I also like lasagna, spaghetti, and pizza. My husband Bill and I sometimes order pizza from Domino's, and they make really good cheesy bread. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete