Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Socks

Kids do the strangest things, and I was no exception. When I was about eleven, I loved to pull loose threads from my socks. The folloing poem from How to Build a Better Mousetrap: Recollections and Reflections of a Family Caregiver describes this hobby and its consequences.

Socks

At the age of eleven,

I sit on the floor in front of the wastebasket in my room,

pull loose threads from my socks, one by one.

“What are these sock strings doing on the floor?” Mother asks.

“The cat did it,” I say.

Despite continual chastisement and threats of spanking,

my favorite pastime is removing threads from my socks, one by one.

When you were a kid, did you do anything that might have been considered out of the ordinary? Please tell me about it by leaving a comment below or e-mailing me.

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author of We Shall Overcome and How to Build a Better Mousetrap: Recollections and Reflections of a Family Caregiver

No comments:

Post a Comment