Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Anatomy of Two Hands

Because of my visual impairment, I rely on my other senses more than most people do. The following poem illustrates how my sense of touch compensates for my lack of vision. It was first published in the spring 2005 issue of Voicings from the High Country and can also be read on my Web site at http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com/anatomy-09.html

ANATOMY OF TWO HANDS

These hands are soft and gentle.
They can turn the pages of a book.
They have never flung a stinky diaper
into a dirty clothes hamper.
They cannot run or chew
and they’ll never steal anything
that doesn’t belong to them.

These hands could plant taupe flowers if they exist.
Would the moon feel wiggly?
That is hard to say

but these hands have known the touch
of many things
because they have compensated
for eyes that have never known
the sight of many things.

Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author of We Shall Overcome
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com
abbie@samobile.net

No comments:

Post a Comment