Monday, March 14, 2011

Breaking Up

I read a poem by Dorianne Laux called “The Beatles.” You can read it at http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/index.php?date=2011/03/13 The poet asks why The Beatles broke up since they had families, and their music was bringing in a lot of money. I don’t know the answer, but I can understand that sometimes, musicians feel they need to separate and move on. I recently left a singing group[ because I discovered that my philosophy on performing is different from theirs. Since I joined them over fifteen years ago, members and directors have come and gone. The group’s dynamics changed as a result.

As for The Beatles, I’m sorry they broke up, too. Although some of their songs leave a bit to be desired, there are other priceless hits such as “Here Comes the Sun” and “When I’m Sixty-Four.” I’ll leave you now with another one of their songs, “In My Life.” Click on the link below to hear a recording of me  singing it, accompanying myself on the piano. It’s not one of their more popular songs, but I like it. I used to have a recording of  Judy Collins singing it, and it was used as the theme song for “Providence,” a TV show about a big city doctor who returns to her home town in Rhode Island to work at a clinic for low income patients. Enjoy!


Abbie Johnson Taylor
Author of We Shall Overcome


No comments:

Post a Comment